Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> At 10:09 PM 3/23/01, you wrote:
>
> >Are you sure that the LAA bit applies to Ethernet?  I've never seen
> >that defined as such in any doc.  Only for Token Ring.
> >- Marty
>
> It's in IEEE 802.3. I just checked. And I bet you have seen it used! How
> about in DECnet networks? The MAC address gets changed to be based on the
> network-layer address and to start with AA.
>
> So, unless I'm twiddling the bits wrong, which is possible, since it is
> early Saturday morning, and I didn't get enough sleep, I think that's an
> example of an Ethernet locally-administered address.

You were twiddling correctly.  I looked up the Ethernet V2 spec vs. 802.3
and found what you stated -- bit 1 (the 2nd from the LSB) is the LAA bit
for 802.3, but _not_ for Ethernet V2.  Since DEC was using AA-00-04-00-xx-xx
prior to 802.3 being created, is it just coincidence that AA happens to
set the LAA bit?

And here's yet another fairly well-written reference on Ethernet/802.3 operation:
http://ethernet.industrial-networking.com/articles/gthomas.asp

- Marty