>The limit on Cisco routers is 4 Serials in the same subnet... but my
>question is:
>
>What problem does that solve? Why would I want/need to do that?

My gut tells me that this is not really a planned-for limit, and sort
of happened.

>Any thoughts?

As a wild guess, it might  be to allow the support of NBMA
hub-and-spoke subnets that have more than one hub interface. Not sure
how useful this would be -- I tend to think that the marginal
improvement in reliability of having more than one interface of the
same router in the same subnet is very small.  If I need multiple
hubs, multiple routers become appropriate.