Just to throw a wrinkle in all of this, a Cisco router WILL allow you to
place up to 4 SERIAL interfaces in the same subnet. Try it... do like this:

Router>conf t
Router(config)int s0
Router(config-if)ip add 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
Router(config-if)int s1
Router(config-if)ip add 10.1.1.3 255.255.255.0

This works... the router will not complain. Why would you need to do this? I
dunno, but you can if you want to - only on SERIAL interfaces...