From: John Neiberger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2001 11:21 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: PPP Configs (Overlooking the Obvious) [7:29]

In the hopes that this might help some of the beginners (and some of the
not-so-beginners) I thought I'd share an interesting troubleshooting problem
I just ran into that is actually a little embarrassing but educational.
(Yes, I should be in bed already.  Perhaps my consistent lack of sleep
causes me to have constant brain lock lately.)

I started out with a back-to-back config between two 2501s from aux to aux.
I initially was running IP, then I added CHAP authentication, then I added
IPX.  For some reason, I could not get IPX working correctly no matter what
I tried...

"show ipx traffic" showed that there was traffic but it wasn't behaving
correctly.  On Router A I had a static SAP that I wanted to advertise to
Router B but it wasn't showing up on B.  I also had a loopback address with
a network number that I wanted to advertise to B.  Again, it was not showing
up.

To make a longer story shorter, it might be helpful to reiterate the order
in which I did this configuration.

First, I configured IP and brought up the connection.  It came up and I
tested connectivity using pings.  Simple, no problem.

Next, I added the CHAP authentication.  Again, no problem once I got the
config correct on both routers.

Then I added the IPX config.  Hey, I just thought of something.  Instead of
coming out and telling you the answer to this problem, I should let others
guess.    I'll subtitle this "Late Monday Night Follies."

If you've been doing this sort of thing for a while, please don't just come
out and tell everyone the answer just yet.  Let the people new to PPP figure
this one out.  I've given enough information here but there are a couple of
other clues to be given that I haven't mentioned.

Good luck!

John the Very Sleepy