Louie ,
it s a great thing to have people across the planet sharing technical
advices & i do really appreciate.

about matching your others int to your serial(which is 256Kbps for
example), let's take a case of a router with 2 Eth & 1 Serial Int.

  Eth 0/0 goes to the LAN

  Eth 0/1 goes to a  transmitter
  Serial 0/0 goes to a receiver    (in this case a vsat link goes to the
                                       ISP )

when you say that you usually match your others Int to your serial do you
mean you can configure your Eth(which are usually 10Mbps) to 256Kbps ?

if so what is the drawback ?

is it related to one of the subcommands:
  traffic-shape
  bandwidth
  rate-limit ... ?

 in the case described above if the provider allows you 256Kbps is it
necessary to match the Eth speed to 256Kbps ?

please tell me more.

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, EA Louie wrote:

> Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:08:28 -0700
> From: EA Louie
> To: MIKE NDABARASA
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: rely & load [7:75]
>
> You got it Mike.  Nice job figuring out those numbers.  The only other
thing
> I'd warn you about is on a serial interface, the bandwidth (which is how
the
> load metric is calculated) needs to be explicitly added into the interface
> configuration as the number of Kbps for the circuit connected to the
> interface.  If you have a 256kbps circuit to your ISP over a serial link,
> then your configuration would be
>
> interface serial 0
> bandwidth 256
>
> Something that I do on occassion is I manually change the bandwidth on an
> Ethernet or Tunnel interface to match my Serial interface - it gives me
> another place to measure my utilization.
>
> hth...
>
> -e-

NDABARASA MIKE
NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF RWANDA
COMPUTING CENTRE
Email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice:
   Office:(250)530666
   Ext:1031
   Mobile:(250)08510951

PREDICTION IS HARD , ESPECIALLY THE FUTURE

       &&&&&&&NIELS BOHR&&&&&&

IL EST DIFFICILE DE PREDIRE , SURTOUT L'AVENIR

                             own translation :)