From:   Luis Oliveira [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Thursday, April 12, 2001 16:27
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Telnet and mail problems [7:392]

Fellow Cisco users

This is my first post to the list. I've been watching the list for messages
regarding a problem that we have at my company (newspaper business) that's
probably related to our new network.

We have recently changed for a new building and since we are now placed in
several floors (as opposed to the situation we had before) we have taken
this opportunity to build a new network infrastructure.

We have a central Cisco Catalyst 6006 with 48 10/100 mbit ports, 2*8 fiber
optic modules that connect to 5 floors (Cisco 3548 XL and Cisco 3524
switches) by fiber cable.

We have a relatively large network of 400 machines (80% Macs, 20% PC's)
divided by VLAN's. We also have 30 or so servers (ranging from Sun Solaris
running Sybase, to Windows NT 4 and 2000 file servers, Microsoft SQL
servers, Appleshare File servers, AIX machines running Oracle, etc.

Our machines have fixed IP addresses. We are experimenting a problem when we
try to telnet a Unix machine. It takes forever (almost half a minute). The
same problem with e-mail checking ( 30 seconds to logon on the server).
Before we had just two subnets. Now we have more (private networks), and the
mail server is on a public network (DMZ) separated from us by a firewall. We
think that the problem is related with the Ciscos or the implementation of
the VLAN's. The company that implemented our network (which is a sister
company of my company) until now as not found a solution to our problem and
the mail users, which is everyone is becoming very upset with all this.
Everything else works fine on the network works fine (copying files, browse
the internet, that kind of stuff).

Anyone have seen this kind of trouble before ? Can give some advice or steps
to follow to eliminate this ?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks

// luis oliveira