At 04:27 PM 4/12/01 -0400, Luis Oliveira wrote:

>Our machines have fixed IP addresses. We are experimenting a problem when we
>try to telnet a Unix machine. It takes forever (almost half a minute). The
>same problem with e-mail checking ( 30 seconds to logon on the server).
>Before we had just two subnets. Now we have more (private networks), and the
>mail server is on a public network (DMZ) separated from us by a firewall. We
>think that the problem is related with the Ciscos or the implementation of
>the VLAN's. The company that implemented our network (which is a sister
>company of my company) until now as not found a solution to our problem and
>the mail users, which is everyone is becoming very upset with all this.
>Everything else works fine on the network works fine (copying files, browse
>the internet, that kind of stuff).
>
>Anyone have seen this kind of trouble before ? Can give some advice or steps
>to follow to eliminate this ?
>
>Sorry for the long post.
>
>Thanks
>
>// luis oliveira

Hm.  It sounds a lot like DNS issues.  Do you have guys pointing to an
internal DNS server?  Does your mail server resolve to an internal IP?  If
you do internal DNS, I can see where you might have "inside has problems",
"outside is dandy" problems.  Can you time the telnetting to the Unix
box?  Are you sure it is not 75 seconds?  (If it is, it is almost
definitely DNS issues).  Have you tried doing "ping" floods to those hosts
just to see what % of packet loss occurs, if any?  It could very well be
other issues, but check your DNS setups to see if anything seems fishy with
your internal DNS.

-Carroll Kong