If digital information can't be sent through water using acoustic
signaling, lots of sonar and underwater telephone designers are going
to be very surprised.  In like manner, there are all sorts of means
of transmitting electromagnetic digital information through water,
such as extremely low frequency radio and blue-green lasers.  Modern
submarine operations depend on all these.

More to the point, a specific design objective of IP is that it is
independent of the underlying transmission medium.  RFC1149, the
basic specification for transmission of IP datagrams over avian
media, is actually an excellent model for explaining how IP is
encapsulated in a specific medium.