Definitely at least get something (especially before they get switches and
make sniffing harder), but I think Fluke is a bit pricey for most unless
that's what you really need (same with Sniffer Pro, etc.).

Speaking of which, I believe we just got approved to get a Dolch box with
Sniffer Pro and a ton of hardware interfaces (including 802.11).  Our old
box just wouldn't support some of our older WAN cards once we upgraded to
GUI, and the DOS version is so outdated (but still required if we wanted to
do anything with our v.35 interface).

Speaking of, any idea when Sniffer Pro split into a LAN and WAN (and even
"High Speed") versions?  I wasn't in on specing out our new box, so I didn't
know until I just looked at their site.

Hey, and it looks like they even rent packaged boxes as "Sniffer Express"
for week and month periods:
http://www.sniffer.com/services/sniffer-rentals/default.asp

--
Jason Roysdon, CCNP+Security/CCDP, MCSE, CNA, Network+, A+
List email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> They should get the troubleshooting tools first, in my opinion. There are
> free protocol analyzers available. The problem may be some network-hog
> application that doesn't belong on the network, such as Napster or
> something. The problem could continue to lurk even if they did get a
switch.

> Of course, protocol analysis can be very time-consuming, and time is
money,
> so perhaps throwing a switch in the network might be a good approach
> too.  Mwave.com is advertising a D-Link 8-port 10/100 switch for only
> $69.99, while supplies last. They also have a 3-Com 4-port switch for only
> $92 and really cheap LinkSys switches. Those are all good name brands.
(No,
> I don't work for them! ;-)
>
> Priscilla
>
> At 09:05 PM 4/17/01, Jason J. Roysdon wrote:
> >Convince them to get troubleshooting tools when they don't even have
> >switches?  *chuckles*  Good luck.
> >
> >--
> >Jason Roysdon, CCNP+Security/CCDP, MCSE, CNA, Network+, A+
> >List email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Homepage: http://jason.artoo.net/
> >

> >""Chuck Larrieu""  wrote in message
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Hhmmmmm......
> > >
> > > Are these hubs daisy chained?
> > >
> > > Does the noticeable slowdown happen al the time, or can you isolate it
> > > particular times of day?
> > >
> > > Do you have an internet connection?
> > >
> > > Do you have anyone using any kind of dial up to an external service of
> >some
> > > kind?
> > >
> > > Have people set up their own little Windows networking networks, in
> >addition
> > > to your network - file and print sharing stuff?
> > >
> > > Are people having to print a lot of things they weren't doing before?
> > >
> > > Story time:
> > >
> > > Back at the brokerage firm, there was an occasion where my help desk
> >started
> > > getting calls about the network being down.  In general, this kind of
> > > complaint could be attributed to not being logged on to the network,
and
> > > usually we would blow off the callers with the instruction to log on.
> >Well,
> > > upon thinking about the fact that people who were complaining were in
> many
> > > cases "good" users, and the fact that there were so many calls that
> >morning,
> > > I traced back one of the end user stations to a particular hub ( we
had
> >hubs
> > > plugged into switches at the time ) and I was shocked to see the
> collision
> > > light solid red. I was able to use the HP stack manager software to
> >discover
> > > that a particular port was just saturating the hub with traffic.
Tracking
> > > down that user, I learned that particular person was connected to a
> > > particular internet based service ( some kind of research database )
and
> >was
> > > downloading and updating a complex database file using a particular
> > > proprietary piece of software. The damn thing practically seized the
> >entire
> > > bandwidth of that hub, and so monopolized the traffic that other folks
> >were
> > > losing their connections to the Novell servers, I am guessing because
of
> > > lack of keepalives.
> > >
> > > Once the problem was identified, I gave this particular user a
dedicated
> > > switch port, and life was good after that.
> > >
> > > My point being that even though you have a very few users, all it
takes
> is
> > > one bandwidth piggy, and your shared collision domain network is
toast.
> > > Might want to convince the boss that investment in a Fluke meter or
some
> > > kind of management software is a good thing.
> > >
> > > Chuck

Of
> >John
> > > Brandis
> > > Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2001 5:09 PM
> > > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > Subject: Network Collisions [7:1006]
> > >
> > > G'day all where ever you may be.
> > >
> > > I have been watching my network here in my office and I have noticed
that
> > > over
> > > the last week, that the network is slowing down. Due to financial
> > > constraints,
> > > we are using 10/100 16 port hubs (2) {just thought I would point that
> out}
> > > have noticed that the collision LED's are on a fair bit these days. I
> > > checked
> > > to see if the errors where due to cable problems or broken ports on
the
> >hub,
> > > but this was not the case. I made sure all the PC's were using the
same
> > > protocol and still I have an abnormal amount of collisions. I
understand
> > > that
> > > I will have collisons but for a 11 user network that is centerd around
> > > WIN2k
> > > Server/Exchange server I have about a 40% collision rate.
> > > Does any one have any idea's (besides the obvious of buying a switch)
on