This depends partly on what version IOS you're running.  Earlier versions
(at least up to 11.2) calculate on the outbound traffic only.  Inbound
traffic is irrelevant.  It is calculated, by default, on a five-minute
weighted 'average' - I don't know the exact algorithm.  However you can
change the load interval (the exact command is left as an exercise for the
reader because I don't feel like looking it up - it's an interface command
- but I think it is 'load-interval') so that it is averaged over shorter or
longer periods.  The minimum is 30 seconds.  If you change this, instead of
a '5 minute input rate' in the show interface output, it will show the
interval that you are using for that interface.
Later versions of IOS (certainly 12.1, not sure when it changed) have
separate figures for txload and rxload.

The load is calculated using the 'bandwidth' statement for the interface.
If your bandwidth isn't set correctly (I think it defaults to 1.5 Mbps for
a serial interface), it won't affect the basic operation of the interface,
but it will affect the accuracy of your load figures (it may also affect
operation of your routing protocol).  If you have a 512Kbps line and the
bandwidth has defaulted to 1.5 Mbps, even when you are maxing out your line
your load will only show as about 85/255.

JMcL
---------------------- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 27/04/2001

"David Chandler" @groupstudy.com on 27/04/2001
06:05:29 am