You probably already saw Jennifer's post on the separation of rxload and
txload and adjusting the load interval.

After I saw her post, I looked up 'load-interval' and saw something
relatively surprising:  The example of the using load fraction was to
provide a mechanism for enabling dial backup, and not for monitoring load on
the inteface (which is how most of us use it).  Interesting how we took that
value and used it (probably not for the intent that it was provided).

There are routing protocols that also use it, though, which makes it very
important to set the bandwidth parameter properly on interfaces.

from the 'what difference does it make' perspective, it could make a
difference in the case of having multiple metrically identical paths to the
same destination - for example, EIGRP has as part of its metric calculation
the 'bandwidth/(256 - load)' factor, but by default it is disabled.  If it
were enabled, the routing metric would change, and the preferred EIGRP route
would become the less-loaded interface.  (Did someone say 'load balancing?
;-)

from the perspective of monitoring a link, it makes a difference knowing
that you are saturated from a Tx perspective so you can do some kind of
bandwidth grooming/limiting or to determine (as you have before) if you need
to consider a circuit upgrade.  If you sustain that Tx load at 80% and
higher over all business hours in a day, for example, that's a good
candidate for fixing something.  If there are occassional 5 minute average
bursts of 100%, but sustained bandwidth at 30-50%, that's a different
situation, and you can do some investigation around those bursts.

Traffic engineering is an entire science of itself, one that has alternately
fascinated and frustrated me over the years.  My boss used to ask, "When
should we upgrade that frame relay circuit?", or "When should we convert
from 10BaseT to FastEthernet?".  My answer (before I understood as much as I
do now) was, "When the users start to complain about performance or when
their department can absorb the cost of the upgrade."  I don't use the same
metrics for service upgrades anymore.  ;-)

-e-