From: Sean Young [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2001 9:25 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Differences between TACACS+ and Cisco ACS [7:2245]

Hi Everyone,

The company I am working for is considering purchasing Cisco ACS
software.  This piece of software will be running on Solaris platform.
Currently, I am using TACACS+ (self-supported software with source code)
on our environment running on both Solaris and linux platforms (Primary
TACACS is on Solaris and backup is on Linux).  We've modified the source
code so that each user has his/her own privilige password so that we
have a record of who is doing what on the network devices (accounting
purpose).  Everything is running smoothly and the company is happy with
the result.

In my opinion, learning CLI in Unix/linux is not an easy task to master.
Because of this, I am solely responsible for the TACACS servers.  Finding
someone to train for this thing is NOT an easy thing (thanks to Microsoft
mentality of POINT-and-CLICK attitude of new people coming into the IT
field these days).  I've tried to train several people for this task but
it was unsuccessful.  Because of this, the company is considering of
migrating the TACACS server from Solaris/Linux over to Microsoft Windows
platforms (YIKES) so that we can find additional support staffs.
The software package that we consider is Cisco ACS.  I have several
questions regarding this package:

1) Is this software stable on a Windows platform?  (Sorry I have to ask)

I have run this for 3 years now with no issues.  But just to be safe buy two
copies one to run as the primary and the other as the backup.  Or IF you can
get the NT version to sync with Linux go that route.

2) How long does it take to train a newbie to be efficient with Cisco
   ACS running on Winblows platform?

Even a newbie should pick this up in a couple of hours.  Adding and removing
users, changing groups and permissions is (dare I say it) as easy as point
and click.

3) Does Cisco ACS support enable privilege for each individual user (i.e
   does each user have his/own enable password)?

YES.  Currently every member of my staff has a different username and
password.  And I have specified which level they are allowed when they login
(1-15).
Good Luck

If anyone has done it before or have a similar experience, I would like
to hear from you.

Many thanks.
Sean