Stunt, maybe.  But still better than nothing.  For example, off the top of
my head, I can't recall the CEO of any other company which has undergone
major layoffs do anything comparable.  Craig Barrett - Intel, Scott
McNealy - Sun, Carly Fiorina - HP, Mike Armstrong - AT&T, Jurgen Schrempp -
Daimler Chrysler, Bernie Ebbers - MCIWorldcom  --- I haven't heard any of
them do anything comparable.   This group of companies is probably
responsible for more than 75,000 layoffs.

Like I said, I don't begrudge execs making it big when times are good.  What
I am sick and tired of is when the pointy-haired bosses continue to live it
up when times are bad and headcount is being slashed left and right.

So is Chamber's move symbolic?  Yeah, probably so.  Sure, he can easily
afford to give up his salary.  But he didn't have to do it, nobody put a gun
to his head.  And like I said, I don't see any other company exec's doing
the same thing, and just like so many other things in life, it's all
relative.  So you could say that Cisco is a cool company, relatively
speaking.

XC

http://www.business.com/directory/computers_and_software/cisco_systems/peopl