I understand the logic behind what you say however in my opinion this is
strictly theoretical.  There has to be a level of trust that a device will
function correctly otherwise why invest money in it.  I'm not saying that a
switch will always function correctly and that the situations you mentioned
are not possible however, as stated before, no network is secure and no
network is risk free.  Back to the original subject, I still have never seen
or heard of a way to "hop" across VLAN's without access to an intermediary
device using normal (non-trunked) switch ports and a properly configured
switch.  I've read of numerous security vulnerabilities varying from DoS
attacks to manipulation of 802.1q frames however none of these situations
involve the situation mentioned.  From a technical perspective based on real
world environments I see no reason why a single switch can't be used.
VLAN's have been deployed on switches in the field for sometime now and I
feel that they are reasonably secure and worth the risk vs cost factor in
most situations.  I've worked in Professional Services for Cisco in the past
and we deployed numerous designs that included a 6509 containing both
internal and external VLAN switch ports seperated by a firewall.  Granted,
the implications of a possible malfunction or security exploit is greater
when using a single device to seperate internal and external networks
however that is a risk that must be weighed against other sometimes more
important factors (cost).  I respect your opinion that it is worth the cost
however I've never seen a technical reason to support VLAN insecurity.

Cheers,

-Michael