And my point is that for the cost of 2 small 10/100 switches, you
can eliminate even the possibility of this problem occuring.  To me,
the _only_ reason to use a single switch is cost.

To talk reality, 6509's are not cheap, depending on the cards
installed they can run upwards of $100K a piece.  You can get 8-12
port 10/100 switches for $1-2k a piece.  So, for 1-2% incremental
cost, you increase security.  Even if you never have any issues,
isn't that small cost worth it?  The cost of a the few extra switches
would only be a factor in very low-end environments.

In such environments, extra switches are probably not warranted,
but that doesn't mean the risk is not there.

As far as ideals and reality, as I said before, all vulnerabilities are
theoretical until someone exploits them.  If you look at the history
of information security over the past 5 years, there are
compromises that people thought would never occur, until they
happened.

One thing is certain, you will never be wrong if you predict that we
will see new, creative never-before-seen exploits in the years to
come.

-Kent