I work with dozens of CCIE's in different departments on a day to day basis.
My company builds Router/Switch traffic/protocol generators/analyzers. Our
equipment is in many buidlings on Cisco's San Jose campus. Being a support
engineer affords me the opportunity to work hand in hand with these
guys/gals(yes, quite a few are female) in developing tests for their
particular group/project. With this said, I can tell you some real world
truths;
CCIEs come in every size, shape, and IQ level. Some are managers who rarely
involve themselves in test grunt work, while others are basking in the glory
of plain old hard work(with a matching 5 figure salary). I believe that
being a CCIE gives someone a certain level of respect for their
accomplishment, but that only takes you so far; after that you must prove
yourself to be an intelligent, hard working person who is versitile,
communicates well, and gets things done. Some of the CCIEs I work with amaze
me at their inability to solve/create solutions for what seem to be
relatively minor issues. Am I putting them down - no way. Obviously the have
quite a bit of personal experience and knowledge going for them or else they
would not have the little circle emblem on their cube name-plate. But
suffice it to say, that you don't have to be gifted to be a CCIE; hard work
can make up IQ points any day. You simply can't beat experience (5-10 years
of working with routers/switches is worth a lot when sitting next to the
protcor). But if you have a knack for this stuff, and a hell of a lot of
determination, then there is no reason why you can't go from being a network
neophite to CCIE in a year or less. Becoming a CCIE is not like 8-12 years
of school and internship; it's practically a crime how we can expect to be
paid so much for so little in the way of real benefit to the world. Moving
ones and zeros is cool, but don't cry about the state of affairs the Future
of Networking is in. This field will always pay the best people top dollar
because these people provide value - their mind is in a continuing state of
evolution paralleling the advancment of technology. If you want to be a CCIE
just to make big money, great. But don't be disappointed at your salary once
you get there if you are not one of the best in your field. Work towards
excellence everyday, learn every detail of the fundamentals, and value-add
the latest technology to your skill set. Always provide more value than your
expense and you will never have to worry about $$$. 1 year ago I had no job
after having lost my business to some bad luck. I had no money and no
skills, so I decided to go into the computer field. I taught myself MCSE in
about 3 months and got a job doing level 1 help desk. I then started my
Cisco certs last november (CCNA) followed by CCNP & CCIE written and will
pass the Lab within 3-4 months. I have less than a year in the field and I
MAKE MORE THAN SOME CCIEs I work with. Does that mean that being a CCIE
sucks? NO! But being good a what you do is more important. Be an expert at
each new thing you learn, then the money will come along with self-respect
and the respect of others.

Sorry about the run-on sentence, but although I love this forum and the
great people that take time out to help each other in here, I do get kinda
irked when I see the cries of woe regarding certs or jobs..

If you want top dollar, demand it. Let your mind command attention from
companies and you will get what you deserve. It is as simple as this.
Companies will only pay you as much as they can afford and still get value
for their investment. If you are always providing top value, your stock will
soar. Certs don't mean jack in many real world hot seats. A quick mind and
deep well of knowledge drive the best cars.

Well, thats my soapbox...back to the books and routers...

SAM