Hi all -

I'm encountering some problems with mail delivery, and it seems that the
Pix firewall may be the culprit. Here are the symptoms (IP and domain
names have ben changed to protect the inept):

- telnet to port 25 from a machine not passing through the pix and you
get a standard response:
220 mail.mydomain.com ESMTP server (Post.Office v3.5.3 release 223) ready
Wed, 16 May 2001 14:23:12 -0700
ehlo mydomain.com (my input)
250-mail.mydomain.com
250-HELP
250-EXPN
250-XREMOTEQUEUE
250-ETRN
250-PIPELINING
250 SIZE

- telnet to port 25 from a machine that passes through the Pix, and you
get this mess:
telnet mail.mydomain.com 25
Trying 172.16.16.16...
Connected to mail.mydomain.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220
************************************************************22******0***20***00**00*0***********************200*****2******0*00
ehlo mydomain.com (my input)
500 Command unknown: 'XXXX'

In the Pix config I have the following relevant entries (IP addresses
have been changed):
fixup protocol smtp 25
static (inside,outside) 172.16.16.16 172.16.16.16 netmask 255.255.255.255
0 0
conduit permit tcp host 172.16.16.16 eq smtp any
conduit permit tcp host 172.16.16.16 eq pop3 any

We're also getting log entries on the mail server that indicate timeouts
- the biggest problem is that some of my users are getting repeats of
messages - sometimes hundreds of them over the course of a week or more.

Ideas?

Doug
[EMAIL PROTECTED]