Doug,

It's the IOS version.  Go to at least 5.2(3) I think (apologies for being
too lazy to look it up) to remove the problem, or remove the fixup protocol
smtp 25 as an interim solution to your problem till you can get downtime to
upgrade.

Can almost guarantee that's what the problem is.  I've validated the issue
all the way up to and including receiving duplicate messages.  The internal
server fails to return the trailing "." to end the mail session, causing the
problem.

-Brad McConnell.