From: Chuck Larrieu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2001 3:59 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: how to enlarge Switching Backplane of 6509 [7:5487]

It's always fun to have one of these discussions, especially when I could be
sleeping. This one seems to be turning into yet another of those "what is
truth?" questions. When dealing with Cisco, it is sometimes difficult to
tell.

The following link would appear to say something other than what you have
quoted. Granted, mine is a quick skim. But it does seem to state that one
SFM card provides 256G and the other is for redundancy.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/si/casi/ca6000/prodlit/c6sfm_ds.htm

notice that later in the link, Cisco starts talking bout packets per second
( PPS ) If you add the MSFC card you get 30mpps and if you add the DCF card
on top of that you get 100mpps.  I bring this up because I had a
conversation off line with someone about needing the MSFC and DCF in order
to get the 256G backplane. Cisco's own configuration tool indicates no. The
person with whom I was discussing this indicated he has done a lot of
research and his finding was yes. My own reading tells me that if I were an
EE I might actually understand the link a bit better, and perhaps it would
make more sense. As is stands, I am perceiving it as a lot of double-talk.

This next link is where you, Frank, may have gotten your quote about the
failover.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sft_6_1/configgd
/swfab.htm#xtocid223541

I just opened NetformX, the configuration tool my boss paid a LOT of money
for me to use in my design work. Once again I can't prove that I ever saw
the SFM card described as 128G, and now it appears that the one card is
indeed 256G.  Serves  me right for not checking this stuff every hour of
every day :->

Chuck