>Hello!
>
>I was wondering if anyone had run across a book that recommends products to
>use in certain situations? There seems to be so many solutions, and modules
>that you can add to each product, that I am confused about when you would
>want to take one route over another.
>
>For example, say the situation calls for the multiplexing of a few T1s. The
>book might say you can do this with this series of routers, just adding this
>module, and following these procedures:
>
>And it might say, you can also accomplish this by attaching this sort of
>equipment to a serial interface; however, there are some drawbacks and here
>is what they are:
>
>(Those examples are completely made up, and I don't know what I'm talking
>about!)
>
>I would hope to find something like this in a design book of somekind, but I
>haven't even looked at any.

As with everything else, It Depends.  In my own design books, I will
often review the options in the kinds of boxes that you might
interconnect for a given solution, but the rate of change of specific
products is so fast that book publication time cycles are far too
long to stay current.

Not :-) like courseware such as CID, which for years had a Cisco ATM
Products slide in which EVERY component had been discontinued, or, at
the very least, superceded by one or two generations.