""NRF""  wrote in message

> And even the idea of higher throughput has been questioned by the mother
of
> all networking, Radia Perlman:
> " Originally [MPLS] was designed to make it possible to build fast
routers,
> but then, using techniques such as [trie searches, parallelism, K-ary
> searches] people built routers fast enough on native IP packets.  So now
> MPLS is thought to be mostly a technique for classifying the type of
packet
> for quality of service or for assigning routes for traffic engineering..."
> (Interconnections, 2nd Ed., p. 347-348).  And I think we would all agree
> that anything Ms. Perlman says must be given serious weight.

Her book was published on 01/2000, I would imagine the actual context must
be written 6 month earlier than that date, so her comments on MPLS was
almost two years old, we all know in our network world two years means what.
Just read all those RFCs/Drafts since late 1999.
I believe MPLS will play a key role in the optical world, such as DWDM.

KY