""KY""  wrote in message
> Mike,
>
> I agree with you. cisco definitely made a fatal mistake here and leave a
> huge room for at least one company, Juniper.

Well, I'm sure that everybody knows Cisco's corporate strategy has always
been to try to figure out what's going to be hot, and then just acquire
somebody.  Sometimes it works (Grand Junction still being the best example),
sometimes it doesn't.   But I've never seen Cisco as much of a
research-oriented company, at least not in the lines of Lucent, with its
world-class Bell Labs, or Nortel.  Rather, it is a sales/marketing driven
company that also likes to play the acquisition card.

So I'm sure that if and when  lambda switching really gets big, Cisco will
come calling, wallet in hand.  The suits in Cisco must be thinking something
like: "This acquisition strategy has worked pretty well so far,  so why not
keep doing it?"

Of course, this strategy is not so easy to do when your stock price has
crashed.  Cisco better figure out how to get its market cap back up.

Note - for would-be flamers - I am not commenting on whether Cisco's dumping
of the 15900 was a smart or stupid thing.  What I am saying is that doing so
was perfectly in line with its corporate culture.   And I'm sure we would
all agree that it is extremely difficult for big companies to change their
culture.