> I am not very sure but I believe OSPF will prefer
> Intra-Area routes despite having an alternate path
>that seemingly has a lower cost. Please correct me if I am
> wrong. Could this be an administrative distance thing?

Kevin, just for clarification, what you are describing has nothing to
do with administrative distance.  Administrative distance is about
comparing the relative "trustworthyness" of routes learned via
different routing protocols.  Your dilema relates to the route
selection criteria wholly within OSPF, and you're right...  OSPF
prefers Intra-area routes to Inter-area routes, regardless of cost.
Cost is used when "all else is equal" in the previous steps of the
route selection process, and the real bottom line is that cost becomes
signifgant only when talking about routes within a single area.

> As much as I would have liked to come up with an ingenius
> solution, I was not able to.  I have since changed Area 1 into
> Area 0. It works fine now but I have this nagging feeling that
> something more constructive could have been done. The
> solution I adopted seems more like a cheap work around. But
> I guess it works and that matters more.

Don't feel too bad...  You have acheived your goal.  There's always
going to be a "sexier" solution, and if you haven't noticed, put
together in a room (or a mailing list), quality engineers will often
disagree on matters of implementation.

> By the way, the network is much bigger than what I have illustrated.
It
> consist of around 40 routers spanning over 16 countries. Its a
private IP
> network that runs on MPLS to provide VPN's. My next project would be
> implement traffic engineering.

See, everybody...  Bigger network than was initially described...  BGP
FOREVER!!  ;)

Alan
(Doing the dance...  Feeling the flow...)