Kevin, I didn't read the whole thread!, It would be more of a cost issue if
your where inter-area routing (as you know).  Glancing at your thread,
that's what I mentally thought even though it states several times that the
problem was over intra-area routing. - I must read more slowly!

>From what you say changing the area looks the only solution, though as I
hate giving up on a solution how about this.
If your destination networks on router D are Type 1 or Type 2 and
summarisation is good you could implement static routing (weight 16) on
router A in the routing table thus overriding OSPF weights value. If the
static routes point to a loopback address on router B, then if router B
fails the static routes would disappear from the routing table allowing the
OSPF to take over thus providing a resilient route to router D via router C.
The reason why I say on using a loopback is due to if router B fails or it's
interface for area 0 fails router A will still retain the static routes in
it routing table due to it's local interface for Area 0 will be up still up.
It's not elegant, but if you desperately need to off load bandwidth / CPU
utilisation via route C or you don't want to increase the size of Area 0
then this may be worth considering. Personally I prefer what you have done
but I don't know your situation.

I hope this helps!

Regards
Giles