This is exceptionally strange....

We just received a used 2621 running 12.0(7)T.  Initially it booted
just fine and we got a prompt.  While in priveleged mode we did a show
run and intertwined with the output was a portion of a message.  The
readable portion said something about "environment write to NVRAM
failed".  We saw this three or four times.

So, after poking around a bit we did a reload.  During the reload we
saw the error again.  Toward the end of the reload we received a warning
message that said something like this:  "This action will disable
password recovery.  Be sure that you have alternatives to password
recovery before continuing.  Continue with operation [yes/no]? "

I have absolutely no idea what that means, I have never seen anything
like it before.  We answered no, of course.  At this point the router
locked up and it appears that the console baud rate has changed but so
far we're unable to figure out what it changed to.  I've rebooted the
router several times to no avail.  Nothing but gibberish on my terminal
screen.

Any thoughts?  I've searched CCO and have yet to see anything about
this behavior yet.

Thanks,
John