From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Jon
Sent:   Thursday, May 31, 2001 12:09 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Redundancy design question [7:6646]

I've been reading about designing physical redundancy into networks, by
having hot standby devices and using HSRP between them.  As an example, if
a site has a single router and a single core switch, these are points of
risk.  By adding a second core switch and a second router, any hardware
failure should be overcome by the standby device taking over.  If all the
servers and wiring closet switches are multi-homed to both core switches,
users shouldn't notice that a fault has occured.  (I assume that the loss
of a wiring closet switch is acceptable -- perhaps local spares are
sufficient).

However, if I only have one WAN circuit coming into the facility, it can
only be connected to one router at a time, right?  So, if the active
router fails, how does the WAN connectivity fail over, short of an
operator moving the cable to the second router?  I'm not trying to address
WAN circuit redundancy or multi-homing, that's a different worm-can to
open.

Is there some way to have both routers connected to the same WAN circuit?
Something along the lines of a WYE-cable that connects both routers to the
demarc connection?  Or is this something that the circuit provider would
address with their equipement (for a fee, I'm sure)?

If this has been hashed over in the past, I couldn't find it in the
archives.  So, if we've covered this before, could someone share the key
search words to locate the discussion?

-jon-