Jon,

the answer to your question is NO.

here`s the reason....you COULD make yourself a Y cable from your CSU/DSU
,but you would have a few issues.
I tried this sometime ago and found out the hard way.

OK.first thing ....if both routers are on you have a major routing loop
problem..AKA split horizon/Spanning tree ....both routers would recieve the
input packet from the CSU and both would try to route it at the same
time...(VERY BAD)....i totally screwed up my lab routing by doing this .
Also packets from host to internet are not routed properly...

So i tried HSRP but found that only worked if i had only one VLan and didn`t
load balance.....it also was not as fast as just having one router..( pass
as to why)....

SO you could set-up the cable and say shutdown one int on the backup
router...which still means you have a latency (until you re-enablen the int
and re-convergence takes place).....

i hope this is helpfull...

BTW Please don`t ask me about CSU/DSU clocking as it was a BT leased line
CSU/DSU and all i did was rip the cable apart and duplicate it ...

Sorry

steve