...in an attempt to torch the straw man...

We could talk at length about the pros and cons of the straw man you
present; if I understand the main question at hand the question is how to
provide some redundancy to the WAN link.

Short answer is that real-world solutions would include some type of
alternate or backup circuit (ISDN has already been mentioned on this thread)
connected to the same router or a redundant one.

To look at the hypothetical scenario you propose - I assume there is some
way to do as you propose, I don't know how you could have the router
interface active on both routers at once such that "automagic" failover was
possible.  Aside from the physical-layer issues (splitting the wire(s),
noise, clocking problems, etc.) and the data-link layer issues (having three
devices on what is supposed to be a point-to-point circuit); consider the
network-layer problems.

If Core-Rtr1 is primary and Core-Rtr2 is backup connecting to some remote
router(s) (Remote-RtrX) and assume we're talking IP - say the network is
192.168.1.0/24.  Then Each core router will need an (active) interface on
the 192.168.1.0/24 network but, Core-Rtr2 needs to send all traffic via
Core-Rtr1 when it is alive and well.

Well, I'm sure that somebody, somewhere is doing something pretty similar to
this (I continue to be amazed at what I find out there...) but I would make
sure that my pager number wasn't on the call list for support.

The closest thing I've seen to what you're talking about (in a common,
supportable, lowest $$  configuration) would be to utilize frame-relay and
connect every router into the cloud.  Yes, you end up paying for the
additional local loop and F/R port charge for the 2nd core router but most
carriers offer "DR" PVCs at little or no cost to customers.  Throw a little
ISDN into the pot to backup the frame network...just keep adding the $$

In the real world, it all boils down to how many 9's the company is willing
to pay for - I don't care how hard you try, you're not going to get 99.999%
availability on a "three-9's" budget.

Since this is purely an academic discussion...I think others will agree that
having a hot-standby router (especially a fairly costly one - you did say
7206, right) but only one serial link is probably a mis-direction of funds.
In my experience, serial lines fail much more frequently than hardware.