Jason,

the real answer to your questions is this.....

first why do we use layer 3 devices......
well MAINLY for intervlan routing,,,we are all agreed...yes

then ,
we migh have these two different setup`s..... a 6500 with an internal MSFC
on a sup 2G.......
and
a 6500 with an external router ...a 3620..with GBIC and 32 meg if ram(base
spec)

AGGREED

the only real difference is.............latency.......and space

YES i know the specs don`t equate BUT i am answering his question...

in a perfect world both setup`s would be identical ...if that was the case
then
1. you need more space having 2 seperate devices...
2. you will suffer from a slight speed differnce with the msfc sending info
over the cat`s inbuilt backplane..3 gig and you sending info over the 1 gig
link form switch to external router.......this is ALL...

forget packets/bytes/bits per second....this is where your speed
in/decreases are seen .....

SO if your asking this question because managment want to know WHY they
should by a 6500 and msfc .....

i hope that answers your question.....

steve( i`ve been more char-grilled.(because of this responce) than a BK
Flamer)