Chuck,

Reflecting on my post, about the only thing that could be "proven" is that
they seem to call most of their newer/higher end models switch-routers......
I don't know if looking at the PPS is a great indication  just because
technologies change and get better......  So I can't say that the higher PPS
of the 12000 and 8500 are due to multilayer switching only

I have alot of respect for you, so I don't want you to feel that I'm trying
to contradict you to make you look bad or anything.... I don't even think
it's possible for me to make you look bad =)

The whole point of all of this stuff was tho that Multilayer switching is a
great thing  =)

Mike W.

"Michael L. Williams"  wrote in message
> I think on any of those units, to reach it's maximum throughput you have
> enable and configure multilayer switching.....
>
> If you look at the name on the Cisco 12000 you'll see it's called a GSR =
> Gigabit Switch-Router.  At this point, even Cisco realizes that it's
> incorrect to call it simply a router because anymore the combinations of
> switches and routers have been combined.
>
> The real funny thing is, out of all of the units you listed, Cisco only
> calls one of them a (plain) router, the 7600.  The others are refered to
as
> either a switch-router or a multilayer switch.  So, you'll notice the only
> router listed here can do 30 million PPS, while the two high end switches
> can do almost 6 times (170 mPPS) and then over 12 times (over an order of
> magnitude more) than the actual router....... so thank you for proving my
> point.  =)
>
> Having said all that, my whole point is multilayer switching integrates
the
> best of routing and switching to provide better performance...... and I
> think my point has been proven.
>
> I wish I could log into CCO =(
>
> Mike W.
>
> "Chuck Larrieu"  wrote in message
> > So layer three switches are faster, 'eh? By orders of magnitude, 'eh?
This
> > calls for a bit of research on CCO.
> >
> > Hhhmmmmmmm................
> >
> > Catalyst 8500 = 24 million PPS
> > http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/ca8500c.htm#CJAEJHDF
> >
> > Catalyst 6509 = 170 million PPS
> > http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/ca6000.htm
> >
> > Cisco 12000 = 375 million PPS
> > http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/12000.htm
> >
> > Cisco 7600 - 30 million PPS
> > http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/7600.htm
> >

> > so it would appear, based on Cisco's own product literature, that high
end
> > router versus high end switch, the edge most definitely goes to the
> product
> > Cisco calls a router. and numbers are all over the place, to judge from
> the
> > example I have looked at.
> >
> > Look, my point remains that any trickery, hardware or otherwise, can be
> > applied to "routers"  as well as "switches".
> >
> > It most definitely is NOT enough to say that there is a difference and
it
> is
> > because of the hardware construction of a "switch" versus that of a
> "router"
> >
> > Chuck

MLS-RP
> > comes back to the MLS-SE, then the MLS-SE knows that the packet was
> allowed
> > (not denied) by the ACL, and therefore it doesn't need to check the ACL
> for
> > subsequent packet and Multilayer switching continues as normal.
> >
> > Most of the time an incoming ACL can be re-written as an outgoing ACL on
> > other interfaces.  Although it is usually recommended to use incoming
ACLs
> > over outgoing ACLs (so that traffic unwanted traffic doesn't get into
the
> > router's fabric just to be denied going out of another interface), in
the
> > case of Multilayer switching, the disadvantages caused by using outgoing
> > ACLs are completely outweighed by the advantage of being able to use
> > Multilayer switching.
> >
> > So, even with an ACL active, as long as it's an outgoing ACL on the
MLS-RP