The 5-4-3 "rule" starts over with the switch. A switch port is the "demarc"
for a collision domain.

Think of your network in hierarchical terms or in blocks. Design the shared
hub-based blocks using the 5-4-3 rule. Design the switched blocks with a
concern for scalability of the Spanning Tree Algorithm and broadcast
traffic. Switches forward broadcasts. Too many stations sending numerous
broadcasts in a switched network is a scalability issue. Cisco recommends
no more than a couple hundred stations be in a single broadcast domain.

A "rule" for switches is that you shouldn't have more than 7 connected
together. But I don't think that's an actual rule you'll find in any IEEE
documents. However, it is a good idea to limit the size of a large switched
network to avoid the Spanning Tree Algorithm taking a long time to converge
and broadcast traffic becoming a concern. You can subdivide your switched
network with routers and VLANs. With VLANs, you can have one spanning tree
per VLAN.

And a few more words from my basic Networking 101 "lecture," that I often
give to K-12 network engineers who are usually too busy to step back and
think about fundamentals!? ;-)

A hub is just a way of making wiring less confusing. Instead of connecting
stations in a bus coax cable, we learned from the telephone industry that
we could use structured cabling, hubs and twisted-pair cabling. But that's
all a hub really does. It simplifies cabling (and amplifies the signal,
since it is a repeater.) A hub makes it possible for stations to share
bandwidth even though they are physically cabled in a star topology with an
active repeater (hub) between them.

Although placed in topologies in the same place as hubs, switches are
completely different beasts. A switch has the opposite purpose of a hub. A
switch divides up the number of stations that share bandwidth. It reduces
the size of collision domains. A switch is a high-speed multi-port bridge.
A hub is a repeater.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com