At 04:18 PM 6/11/01, Jianfeng Wang wrote:
>Actually, the switch diameter rule is to keep spanning-tree protocol
>working. Cisco switches sets their echo time to 2s and forward-delay to
>15s. In which case, diameter larger than 7 makes spantree failed to work.

Please do not send messages to me personally. If you are confident in your
comment, you will send it to the whole group and everyone can benefit. If
you aren't confident, then I don't want to hear it.

I checked IEEE 802.1D more carefully and it does say the recommended
maximum diameter of a bridged network is 7. There's no such thing as an
echo timer, but the hello timer is 2 seconds by default. The forward delay
is 15 seconds by default, as you say.

The explanation of how these relate to each other in IEEE 802.1D is
incomprehensible ;-), but Clark and Kennedy say that the 15 second forward
delay comes from calculating the end-to-end propagation delay on BPDUs,
with the following assumptions:

* BPDU hello timer is 2 seconds
* It takes a bridge 1 second to send a BPDU after receiving it on another
port.
   This is called the bpdu_delay. (It's extremely conservative.)
* Up to 3 BPDUs may get lost as a message moves from one end of the network
   the other.
* The maximum number of bridge hops between any two nodes is 7.

End-to-end BPDU propagation delay
= ((lost_messages +1) x hello_timer) +(bpdu_delay x (diameter -1)
= ((3 + 1) x2) + (1 x (7-1))
= 8 + 6 = 14 seconds

You also have to take into account a few other obscure things like the
transmit halt delay, the bridge transit delay, the max medium access delay,
the message age overestimate, the max frame lifetime, etc. It seems to be
extremely complicated. Argh.

Thanks

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer