At 02:55 PM 6/15/01, Michael Cohen wrote:
>Has anyone ever heard of network traffic that's sourced from a multicast
>ethernet address?  I've seen error messages on a Catalyst 4000 that reads:
>
>%SYS-4-P2_WARN- 1/Invalid traffic from multicast source address
>45-00-05-dc-73-a6 on port 1/1
>
>I know that address isn't a multicast address but it's not registered to any
>Ethernet vendor codes either.

It is a group (multicast) address, which, of course, should never happen
with source addresses. The least significant bit of the first byte of the
source address is a one, which means group address.

The really odd thing is that it looks an awful lot like an IPv4 header
which almost always starts with 45 00. Version = 4. Length of the header is
5 32-bit words. No type of service or precedence bits are set. Could this
be a bug causing the sender or recipient to offset bytes somehow?

Another thought: Do you use source-route bridging? With Token Ring SRB, the
first bit of a source address being a one means that source routing
information is present in the frame.

Do you know what is out port 1/1? You could check its status.

Priscilla

>Cisco says this is probably from a traffic
>generator (like SmartBits) but I don't think that's being run anywhere.  Has
>anybody seen this MAC address or something like it?
>
>Thanks,
>
>-Michael Cohen

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com