I captured several frames with MACs of 45-00-..... They are
[Ethernet[IP/TCP]] frames missing the first 8 bytes, as Priscilla
guessed.  The Switch is not incrementing CRC errors so my guess is that
the nic/driver has a bug.  I have so far seen a couple different apps
within the weird frames so I see no reason to believe that it is a
particular apps triggering the bug.  I am only getting these 45-00-...
MACs from one server and it is HEAVILY used, maybe the load on the
server, NIC, driver triggers the bad framing?

DaveC

Michael Cohen wrote:

> Has anyone ever heard of network traffic that's sourced from a multicast
> ethernet address?  I've seen error messages on a Catalyst 4000 that reads:
>
> %SYS-4-P2_WARN- 1/Invalid traffic from multicast source address
> 45-00-05-dc-73-a6 on port 1/1
>
> I know that address isn't a multicast address but it's not registered to
any
> Ethernet vendor codes either.  Cisco says this is probably from a traffic
> generator (like SmartBits) but I don't think that's being run anywhere.
Has