Our network requires several maps.  We have an IP WAN map showing the
logical frame relay connectivity and addresses; an old IPX WAN map
showing IPX addressing; branch maps showing the connectivity and
addresses at our branch locations; more maps showing connectivity at our
HQ.

Each device object in the map contains information about the object
such as serial number, make and model, IP address, hostname, IOS
version, etc.  We even use it to document software licenses.

We are to update these maps as soon as possible after a change.  Our
department shares a single map file called a project, and only one
person can have write access at a time.  If this is kept up to date,
it's an exceptionally usefull tool.

John

>>> "Priscilla Oppenheimer"  6/20/01 11:25:53 AM

I think a lot of people still use Visio. Now, onto the harder question

about "best practices." ;-) Do you print the map on a plotter? Do you
save
it on a Web page? On a server of some other sort? How often do you
update
it? Do you have just one map or does your network require multiple
maps?
How much detail do you include?

THANKS!

Priscilla

At 12:37 PM 6/20/01, Craig Columbus wrote:
>I know I'm not high-tech, but I still use Visio Enterprise.
>
>Craig
>
>At 12:07 PM 6/20/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>What product and processes would you recommend for documenting a
campus
>>network. I'm looking for advice on products, tools, and best
practices for
>>keeping a network map reasonably up-to-date. By campus network I mean
>>large set of LANs with maybe one or two WANs.
>>
>>I saw the info on NetCool, but it seems like overkill -- maybe more
for
>>large enterprises and service providers and more of an umbrella
network
>>management system rather than just solving the network map problem.
>>
>>I realize a lot of people let their network maps get out of date! But
any
>>advice from people who don't do that? ;-)
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Priscilla

>>Priscilla Oppenheimer
>>http://www.priscilla.com