BINGO!  Tony is right on, and I'll share with the group how I got it working
(and all my failed attempts too, so that others will hopefully benefit).

1.  Tried using the Ethernet method (I have another working 2514).  No go,
because the new router wants an IP address from a BOOTP server (I tried
setting up the good 2514 as a DHCP server but that didn't work) - oops, I
just now noticed the ip bootp server config command on the good 2514 - oh
well, too late.... problem is already solved

2.  Used the Serial Line method - worked like a charm.  I had to:
a.  Set the serial interface of the good 2514 with an IP address
192.168.2.1, clock rate 64000 (put the DCE side of your serial back-to-back
cable on the good router so you CAN set the clockrate)
b.  Set the ip helper to my notebook's IP address
c.  Make the good 2514 the default gateway for the TFTP server (my notebook)
(took me about an hour to figure that one out - all I could see was the TFTP
software receiving the request, but no packets back through the good 2514,
which had debug ip packets on.  Finally did a netstat -r on my notebook
looking for the 192.168.2.0 route, and that's when I realized, disconnect
the cable modem and set the 2514 ethernet0 to the default gateway address
that was set in my notebook)
d.  Set the hostname and IP address in the network-confg file to the dead
routers' serial 0 IP address that it gets from SLARP (in this case, ip host
dead 192.168.2.2.)
e.  Create a dead-confg file with (literally) one statement - enable
password cisco
f.  Power the dead router on and watch the packets fly by on the good 2514,
and watch the status of the TFTP server software

Once the dead router was able to request and receive from my TFTP server AND
have the TFTP server routed back to the dead router properly, I was able to
successfully connect to the AUX port of the formerly dead 2514 and enter
priveleged EXEC mode.  Wrote the configuration, and I won't be erasing THAT
configuration again!  :-)

Moral of the story - if you have a dead console port and no configuration,
all is NOT lost.  This is the kind of stuff that I really feel IS CCIE level
stuff, and makes me feel pretty darned good to have recovered a router.

Thanks for the pointer, Tony!!!

-e-