Okay, I'm thoroughly confused.  I'm doing some research on this platform
because we'll be purchasing one later this year or early next year.  The
documentation seems to be quite murky and the more I read, the less
clear the picture is.

I see a few different issues that I need help with.  The first is
software.  Which one to use?  CatOS?  Supervisor IOS?  If I can only do
CEF with IOS, then if we get CatOS are we totally hosed and limited to
software forwarding of interVLAN traffic?

I see that the MSFC2 can do 650 Mbps+ of software-based forwarding.  Is
this only referring to first-time routing of packets when no MLS entries
are present in the cache?  If there are cached entries are they
hardware-forwarded or are we still limited by the performance of the
MSFC?

We have a lot of interVLAN traffic and my worry is that as traffic
volumes increase that our performance will suffer due to restraints
present in the MSFC.

Without IOS and CEF, once the MLS cache is populated, aren't any
further packets hardware switched?  If that's the case, I don't see much
need to get the Sup IOS.  I seem to remember someone complaining about
the Sup IOS but I don't remember the details.  Hmm...I suppose I ought
to check the archives, huh?  :-)

Anyway, any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
John