I would say that the overall architecture of the Catalyst 5x00/6x00
series is definitely overcomplicated.

I personally think that because it's so overcomplicated, it has to
have less performance and reliability, etc than other products that
do Layer 3 switching.  This is not verified completely, but if you
look at just the basic specifications for what a packet does in
hardware for Catalyst 6500 vs. other vendors (i.e. Foundry)
you will begin to understand that the Cisco approach is probably
not all it's cracked up to be.  However, Cisco definitely has some
distinct advantages in many environments, and with the SUP2
MSFC2 + dual DFC and PXF enabled linecards they claim
15 million access-lists at line rate.  We'll see how they perform
in real networks in this upcoming year.

I don't think Cisco is making things more complicated; I am
beginning to think that they don't understand it either.  And
that is scary.

-dre