""John Neiberger""  wrote in message

> In the first configuration, the Sup1A can use CatOS or SupIOS.  The
> MSFC operates as the MLS-RP and the Sup1A is the MLS-SE, right?
> InterVLAN traffic is routed initially by the MSFC until a flow is
> established, at which point the rest of the flow is hardware switched.

Basically, yes.  Unless you exceed the 128k max flows or hit the hashing
collision.  And other situations might exist as well.  On CCO you could
read:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/rel_5_2/layer3/m
ls.htm
which gives a little bit of details on this.

> In the second configuration, instead of MLS we're using CEF and the
> MSFC2 config looks just like a router with multiple interfaces running
> CEF.  There are no MLS-related configuration commands needed.  Hmm...at
> the moment I'm actually having a hard time differentiating between the
> operation of MLS and CEF in this context.

Yes, but in CatOS, you can still do the MLS commands, there just isn't
anything there because it's not running MLS anymore.  Even stranger,
you can look inside CEF on the MSFC2 with "show ip cef internal" or
whatever your favorite CEF command is *AND* you can also do a
"show mls cef" or something like that under CatOS.  I find this extremely
strange.  I would guess that with the Sup IOS architecture you will be
able to attach or exec commands on the OSM cards or DFC-enabled
line cards to show their CEF table.  But I don't think you can with the
CatOS MSFC IOS.

> I think I need to brush up on MLS (since I haven't researched it since
> last year) and then read through CCO to see how they're implementing CEF
> on these switches.

Don't worry about MLS unless you already have SUP1A's.  If you are
considering buying soon, don't evaluate the older product, just evaluate
the SUP2 MSFC2 for Layer 3 switching.  And go with Sup IOS, since
that's what is going to be supported in the long run.

Here's some good reading
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/si/casi/ca6000/prodlit/supe_ds.htm
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/si/casi/ca6000/tech/c65sp_wp.htm
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/si/casi/ca6000/prodlit/65dfc_ds.htm
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/rt/7600osr/prodlit/76osr_ov.htm
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/si/casi/ca6000/prodlit/msfc2_ds.htm
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/si/casi/ca6000/prodlit/c6sfm_ds.htm

> If Cisco is moving toward using only the SupIOS, I may have to start
> thinking of the 6500 as a router with a bunch of switch ports instead of
> a switch with some L3 routing functions built in.  :-)

I hear it's kind of like the 8540 or even like the 2900XL/3500XL switches.
That first document I listed just above covers a lot of the feature
differences
between CatOS and Sup IOS.

-dre