>I'm pretty good at allocating address blocks in binary as well. What I'm not
>good at is analyzing several decimal addresses (with variable-length masks)
>to see if they overlap. I almost always am forced to write these out in
>binary.
>
>See additional in-line comment.
>
>""Howard C. Berkowitz""  wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>  >Open Forum might be more up to speed if your free-time consists of
>working
>>  >address plans in binary or looking for probability in the pregnant chads
>of
>>  >Fortran punch cards :o)
>>
>>  There's something wrong with doing address plans in binary?  Best way
>>  to learn, once you realize you don't have to do all 32 bits in
>>  binary.  Seriously, when I plan an address structure, and I am
>>  documenting it, my primary mode is binary, and then converting to
>>  dotted decimal where appropriate.  Now, when I say planning address
>>  structures, it often is to say "a /19 here, split into 8 /21 for
>                                                ^^^^
>^^^^
>I'll agree you're probably pretty good at subne

Harrumph.  I was using that technique known only to true addressing
experts, where you polarize the bits and use Northern and Southern
addresses in the same space. It might LOOK like ordinary mortals
could only get 4 /21 out of a /19, but with polarizing overload, you
double the space!

The only real problem with polarizing as a general technique is that
if you test the network in North America but move it to Australia,
you have to readdress.  If part of the network is in the Northern
Hemisphere while some remains in the Southern Hemisphere, you have to
use NAT (Network Address Turnover), and no host will work properly
_on_ the equator.

Just as the modem modulation people kept getting more and more bits
into a baud, there are research efforts to get more address space by
adding polarization modes.  Unfortunately, bits seem stable only in a
vertical polarization.  If they aren't solidly grounded, they fall
over and are eaten by bit-scavenging bacteria. Virus protection
software is ineffective against bacteria.

While prions are not strictly viruses, there is strong belief that a
prion infection, against which antiviruses would not have helped,
caused the Mad Dow Syndrome that has affected our industry. It is
unclear if the prions were inserted by a cyberterrorist, or are
merely a NASDAQ mutation.

If anyone wonders, the power went out in the middle of the night
(tree branch hit a wire) and I am short on sleep.