Comments inline.

----- Original Message -----
From: Sammi
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2001 4:05 AM
Subject: Proposed Network Design [7:10494]

> Hello all,
>
> We are migrating off of Banyan to Windows 2000 in late July and
> through August. Concurrent with the migration will be an
> infrastructure overhaul. I would like to lay out my plans and
> thoughts; any comments, advice, criticism, improvements, etc. greatly
> appreciated.
>
> I have 95% of my hardware:
>
> Dell Poweredge servers:
> 1550 (6) - file servers
> 6450 (2) - SQL and Exchange servers
> 2450 (1) - SQL
>
> Cisco Switches:
> 2948G (1) - distribution switch
> 2900xl (8) - access switches
> various numbers of 1900/2800 to be phased out

I hope that 2948 is a 2948G-L3 layer 3 switch.  If not, you going to need
some kind of router for inter-vlan connectivity.

> Cisco Aironet Wireless:
> 2 parabolic, various yaggi and omni antennae
> a number of workgroup and access bridges, various sizes.

I hope you are using a full bridge at that hub site.  I don't think
workgroup bridges will do a point to multipoint setup.

> The new environment will consist entirely of new servers, no upgrades
> from old environment.
>
> I've taken my first crack at using Visio 2000 to try and lay out a
> high level conceptualization of my planned design. If interested,
> please download the diagram: http://www.tuzzy.org/design.zip 200k

It's not bad for a high level concept drawing. As you progress in your
design, add as much detail as you can.  Put in mangement ip addresses on
network equipment.  VLAN ranges,  hostnames, etc.  I am a firm believer in
making a network work on paper before I configure anything.  This way you
can spot as many issues ahead of time.  Also, when you are done,  you
network is already documented !!

> Currently our network is on one segment and I am creating vlan's. This
> is an ambitious project for my experience but I'm confident, although
> I realize it'll take a lot of work and study as I go. I've been
> researching this scenario for some time now, and have attended a BCMSN
> week long course with Global Knowledge. So, I may be in dim light but
> not totally in the dark ;-)
>
> Physical Sites consist of:
>
> Main site; includes main administrative building and 6 outlying
> quonset (huts). Fiber from main building to one hut, fiber between
> huts. Currently in place and operable. Main server room; distribution
> switch, access switches in main building and physical locations.

Are you going to use media converters for the uplinks ??  There is a version
of the 2900 that comes with a fiber FastE port for uplinks.

> Heritage site: approx. 4 miles from main. Will connect to Main Site
> via Aironet, parabolic at Heritage and at Main.

If you are using a parabolic at your hub site.  It won't work for a
multipoint setup.  Unless you have a bridge for each link or the two branchs
are on the same line of sight.  Consider using an omni at the hub and
parabolics at the branches.

> Northstar site: approx. 400 yds. from Heritage, connected via fibre,
> currently in place and operable.
>
> Daycare site: approx. 800 yds. from Heritage, will connect via
> Aironet.
>
> Home: approx. 1 mi. from Heritage, will connect via Aironet.
>
> All operations must take place within 10.200.x.x range. Our
> organization is  one of three trees within the 2000 forest. Each tree
> is an independent organization with close ties. One domain per tree.
>
> My plans:
>
> All servers are Windows 2000, all desktops 2000 Professional.
> Each VLAN consists of 6 ports on the 2948 switch, each port (as
> needed) will go to a 2900xl switch for eventual end user access,
> possible direct 2948 to desktop in some cases.
>
> VLAN 1
> 10.200.1.x / 24
> Serving enterprise;
> Exchange 2000 / Universal file server box
> ISA (firewall) box
> Primary DNS, DC, DHCP, Global Catalog
>
> VLAN 2
> 10.200.2.x / 24
> File server for info systems, main building.
> Secondary DNS, DC
> DHCP?
> 3 users
>
> VLAN 3
> 10.200.3.x / 24
> File server for huts.
> SQL backend server for online application, access from huts.
> DHCP?
> 50 users, web server.
>
> VLAN 4
> 10.200.4.x / 24
> One box, 6450, SQL server and file server for finance and services,
> main building.
> DHCP?
> 6 - 12 users, critical data, high resource demand
>
> VLAN 5
> 10.200.5.x / 24
> File server for administrative staff, main building.
> DHCP?
> 75 users
>
> VLAN 6
> 10.200.6.0 / 24
> Spans from main building to heritage center, approx. 4 miles distant.
> Parabolic and bridge, Aironet, at main building and Heritage center.
> Bridge on each end connected to a 2900xl switch.
> File server for Heritage center, possibly daycare.
> Daycare connected via workstations -> 2900xl -> aironet -> heritage
> Northstar has own servers, connected to Heritage via fiber.
> Home will connect to Heritage via wireless (low priority).
> Possible (probable) second server at Heritage, possible server at
> Daycare.
> DNS (cache only), DC, Global Catalog
> DHCP?
> 50 users
>
> VLAN 7
> Not utilized.
>
> VLAN 8
> Gateway to existing Banyan network.

 Are you going to be running Banyan on the new network?  If so, make sure
that whatever router you get will have the right software (enterprise).  The
2948G-L3 does NOT have an image that supports Banyan.  It ONLY does IP and
IPX.  If you already have this router I suppose you could set it up to
bridge the Banyan.  I only worked with Banyan once and it was a long time
ago.  Maybe sombody else out there can confirm how to do this.

> So there we have it.
>
> This is actually my first time writing it out in detail and that in
> itself has been beneficial.
> If anyone is feeling ambitious and generous I would more than welcome
> a picking apart of my logic, diagramming, any input at all welcome.
> I'm sure I have some gaping omissions, leaps of logic or
> considerations not yet considered. Chances are I'm going  overboard
> with the segmenting? I realize the extra admin chores but think the
> trade off is tolerable.
>
> If you've read this through, I already owe you my thanks ;-)

My pleasure
Tony M.