On 30 Jun 2001 11:45:37 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("Tony Medeiros")
wrote:

>Comments inline.

Thanks for the input, followups below:

>I hope that 2948 is a 2948G-L3 layer 3 switch.  If not, you going to need
>some kind of router for inter-vlan connectivity.

Yes, it is a L3, chosen specifically for its routing capabilities.

>I hope you are using a full bridge at that hub site.  I don't think
>workgroup bridges will do a point to multipoint setup.

Full bridges, yes. Model numbers are at the office and I couldn't
recall off hand.

>It's not bad for a high level concept drawing. As you progress in your
>design, add as much detail as you can.  Put in mangement ip addresses on
>network equipment.  VLAN ranges,  hostnames, etc.  I am a firm believer in
>making a network work on paper before I configure anything.  This way you
>can spot as many issues ahead of time.

That was my intent, to put in as much detail as possible. But it
seemed my drawing threatened to become so cluttered as to be
unreadable. I didn't see that the workspace would "expand" as needed,
but will play with it more.

>  Also, when you are done,  you
>network is already documented !!

That bonus occurred to me as I was constructing my post, the process
also brings issues clearer to mind.

>Are you going to use media converters for the uplinks ??  There is a version
>of the 2900 that comes with a fiber FastE port for uplinks.

The uplinks are already in place and operable, using converters. For
the outlying buildings it's a matter of upgrading the switches,
tidying the mess of cable, and configuring for VLAN.

>If you are using a parabolic at your hub site.  It won't work for a
>multipoint setup.  Unless you have a bridge for each link or the two branchs
>are on the same line of sight.  Consider using an omni at the hub and
>parabolics at the branches.

The two main sites, 4 mi. distance, I have established a direct line
of sight. The other site I'd like to bring into a parabolic is along
the same path, slightly to the west. I figure if I'm lucky the dish
will catch it, if not I have antennae to do the job.
I have yaggis and omnis, I had thought yaggi would be better suited
for distance and direct line. Do you feel the omni is a better option?

Thanks again for your comments, very much appreciated.