Certainly, your mileage may vary.  That's why I prefaced that statement
with "in our case".

Since we've implemented our dual-homing strategy we haven't had any
major issues that did not involve either the telco and our local loop or
the next upstream router, usually on Verio's side.  The Sprint side has
been exceptionally painless.

All in all it doesn't sound like you've had much luck.  Or, perhaps
I've just been lucky so far.  We have another internet access T-1 from
Qwest that's been very stable, strangely enough.  I wouldn't expect that
from Qwest.  ;-)

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, John Neiberger wrote:

> It's important to think about what we consider to be failures in our
ISP
> and then ask the question: "What are we protecting ourselves from?"
In
> our case, more often than not an outage is caused by downtime on our
> directly connected router or a failure on the physical link itself,
> between the CO and our building.

Mmm.

I'm prone to disagree.  Most of the outages with the last ISP i ran,
as
far as our backbone was concerned, were major outages with our
upstream.  Bellsouth.net of all wonderful things.

Between local hardware upgrades lasting three days (at the local bs.n
pop,
NOT telco issues), instead of two hours, or various flapping
interfaces
further upstream, to complete loss of connectivity to their upstream.
(uu)

And this was with two circuits in two seperate lata. both ds3 frames.

A small dialup operation that we picked up as a bs.n line and a
sprintlink
line.  Both had fairly regular failure patterns upstream as well.

And going back further to another small ISP, we had a t1 to uu...and
again, other then having /two/ 2525's die cold turkey, the only
outages
were upstream of us at at uu's end.

Sure, there are a reasonable number of local problems that hit us all,
but
I still put more faith on my local side the I do the upstreams.

my few worthless thoughts..

..david

---
david raistrick (deep in the south georgia woods)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]