On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Chuck Larrieu wrote:

> CL: does Bellsouth run their own backbone, or use someone else's? I ask

They back into uunet somewhere around atlanta, for this area at
least.  Bounces through 2-4 hops..the general idea seems to be to drop a
pop at the CO of the lata, and frame all the lata's customers to that pop,
then aggregate and run back to atlanta.

The jax circuit we had appeared to go somewhere else first, then to
atlanta. Tampa, i suspect, but I'm really unfamiliar with the Flordia
telco operations.

> CL: just cuz you think you have diversity doesn't mean you do. there was an
> incident in a relatively large metro area someplace out west not too long
> ago. The whole area's internet access went down when "major backbone
> provider" went down. Turns out every ISP in that area eventually connected
> to "major backbone provider"

Oh, agreed!  One should certianly have a clear, and complete,
understanding of where their circuits terminate, how they get there, and
where they go from there and plan accordingly. (and I'm not going to think
about how many grammar rules I just ignored..)

later...david

---
david raistrick (deep in the south georgia woods)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]