Some additional info on eigrp packets: (from notes after taking the routing
class)

1,hello: multicast 224.0.0.10 > every 5 seconds or 60 secs on t1 or less
2,update: the actual info received for routing
3,query: the packet sent out to request and update
4,reply:answer to query
5,ack:reliable packet received

2-4 are connection based, whereas 1 and 5 are not.

Just a tidbit...You pretty much have everything else the class covered.

-Patrick

>>> "John Feuerherd"  07/09/01 04:17PM >>>
Thanks for all the replies (Expect for abc),
        I do however feel like we have missed the question. I wanted to know if
IGRP and EIGRP use the same method in discovering networks. Not how or if
they establish neighbors. I understand that, but that is not how they
discover networks. With OSPF neighbor adjacencies are not how it discovers
networks, it uses LSAs to do that. I have done a lot of reading on this and
this is where I am at now:

These are the steps:
1) Upon startup, a router uses Hellos to discover neighbors and to identify
itself to neighbors. When a neighbor is discovered, EIGRP will attempt to
form an adjacency with that neighbor. (This is all done across the multicast
address 224.0.0.10) This information is stored in the neighbor table. (Ok we
have established neighbor relationships, but no network information has been
exchanged)
NOTE - ABC you said that IGRP uses DV algorithm to establish neighbors, this
is not true. IGRP does not establish neighbors (no neighbor table). A lot of
talk from someone who can't even get the facts right.

2) After an adjacency with a neighbor established, the router will receive
updates from its neighbors.  The updates will contain all routes known by
the sending router. (Plus the metrics - same as IGRP +256) It does this
using the Reliable Transport protocol, which ensures guaranteed delivery of
the routing updates. This is the part where I think that question might have
been referring to. Like a DV routing protocol (IGRP and RIP) the neighbors
sends their whole routing table in one shot. This is only done once, and
then only changes are sent after that.

3) It then goes on to use the DUAL algorithm, which is out of the scope of
my question so I wont bore you with details.

After my reading I have decided that there are some similarities on how both
IGRP and EIGRP discover networks, but I have concluded that they are not the
same. Let me know what you think.

One last note - ABC before you go attacking someone else's knowledge level
with out even knowing what they know, maybe you should take a long look at
your own ignorance. Sure I don't know everything, and I KNOW that I don't
know enough to be a CCIE (hence the comment "studying for my CCIE"), but
that of course is why I am posting questions on this board. So instead of
creating a negative atmosphere on the board, why don't you try helping, or
just get off all together. Just a though*.

Thanks again everyone for your replies!
JF