>It all depends on what you consider a routing protocol.  Cisco has placed
>the documentation for On Demand Routing (ODR) within the IP routing
>protocols section of their documentation and ODR operates using layer 2 CDP
>packets...
>
>-Michael Cohen

I'd tend to call ODR more of a signaling/control protocol than a
routing information protocol. The IETF, these days, would probably
call it a sub-IP control protocol, along with MPLS setup protocols
like LDP, RSVP-TE, and CR-LDP.

Well, ISIS does not use network layer packets, but runs directly over
data link.

OSPF, IGRP, and EIGRP run directly over the network layer. BGP runs
over TCP and RIP runs over UDP.

>  >

Again, we are dealing with a Cisco oversimplification for courseware.
In the IETF, we generally speak of a control plane and a forwarding
plane. The control plane includes dynamic routing, static routing,
hardware discovery, and sub-IP setup.

>So routING
>>  protocols don't route routED protocols it's the route process and
probably
>>  some flavor of address resolution

That's what we consider the forwarding plane functionality.

>that moves packets from one network to
>>  another. I would be intimately familiar with what happens to the MAC and
>the
>>  route process for the CCIE written.
>>  Routing protocols build and maintain route tables dynamically that is
all.
>>  Next question can a routing protocol be contained inside a routed
>protocol?

Yes.

>  > The routED, routING definition attempts to make them mutually
exclusive..

Plunge router or conventional edge router?  I have a Craftsman
conventional and a Porter-Cable laminate trimmer, but one of my
colleagues is trying to talk me into a Freud.  Since he's got a
complete router table (no, not routing table) setup for his tablesaw
that I envy, I just might.