>A routing protocol is a protocol like
>eigrp, igrp, is-is,ospf, etc.  A routed protocol is like ipx/spx, tcp/ip,
>vines, decnet, etc.  A routed protocol must have a layer 3 address so
>netbios or cdp cannot be routed by themselves.

A routed protocol is the payload that is forwarded by routers, for example,
IP, IPX, DDP, DAP, NSP, ICP, etc.

A routing protocol is a separate protocol that learns the network topology,
for example, DECnet Routing Protocol (DRP), VINES Routing Update Protocol,
AppleTalk Routing Table Maintenance Protocol (RTMP). Oh, and those more
common ones too like RIP, OSPF, EIGRP, IGRP, and IS-IS.

Cisco material gets it wrong sometimes because they throw whole protocol
families into the routed category, such as VINES, AppleTalk, and DECnet.

Regarding CDP, I suppose you could route it if you tunneled? Can't imagine
why you would want to though. NetBIOS can be routed if it runs on top of IP
or IPX. You knew that though.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com