Hi,

I am glad that this topic is discussed here. In fact currently I am doing
a project that is trying to make use of the Port Monitoring/SPAN
feature as a form of keepalive & duplicate traffic discovery
with a third party product. I won't go into that detail.

I had read the portion of info at the directed web link. But would like to
confirm my doubts. I need all the valuable advise and inputs from all of
you.

May be I am poor in my English to interpret this. Appreciate to confirm,
does that mean all Cisco Switches, be it Cat 19xx, 29xx, 5xxx, 6xxx, etc
have the similar feature of blocking Unknow Unicast & Unregistered Multicast

from forwarding through the Source port & not reaching the destination
directed ports?
The traffic is also not forwarded out of the connected port to the connected
neighbouring
port?

        Source Switch Port1------------Router---------WAN
Mirrored Traffic------->|       |
                                |    Eth
      Destine Switch Port2

Based on the above diagram for simple discussion.

Does that means EIGRP routing entries will be discarded at the Switch Port1
& not updated to the Router
Ethernet port? Similar CDP, Multicast Video streaming, Mainframe
application, ...etc, will not able
to pass through the Monitored port?

Lastly, is there a way to enable all traffic to flow through the Monitored
switch port?

Hope to hear some comments on this. Apprecaite the inputs.

Cheers.

regard
Steven Quek