See some comments below.

At 06:01 AM 7/12/01, Quek, Steven wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am glad that this topic is discussed here. In fact currently I am doing
>a project that is trying to make use of the Port Monitoring/SPAN
>feature as a form of keepalive & duplicate traffic discovery
>with a third party product. I won't go into that detail.
>
>I had read the portion of info at the directed web link. But would like to
>confirm my doubts. I need all the valuable advise and inputs from all of
>you.
>
>May be I am poor in my English to interpret this. Appreciate to confirm,
>does that mean all Cisco Switches, be it Cat 19xx, 29xx, 5xxx, 6xxx, etc
>have the similar feature of blocking Unknow Unicast & Unregistered Multicast

I have only seen this with the Cat 1900. You will need to check Cisco
documentation for the other switches. I checked the 6xxx and 5xxx
documentation and monitoring multicasts is enabled by default for those
switches. Multicasts are not blocked.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_6_2/confg_gd/span.htm#xtocid147020

Monitoring multicasts is configurable. See this command:

set span {src_mod/src_ports | src_vlans | sc0} {dest_mod/dest_port} [rx |
tx | both] [inpkts {enable | disable}] [learning {enable | disable}]
[multicast {enable | disable}]
[filter vlans...] [create]

>from forwarding through the Source port & not reaching the destination
>directed ports?
>The traffic is also not forwarded out of the connected port to the connected
>neighbouring
>port?
>
>         Source Switch Port1------------Router---------WAN
>                                 |       ^
>Mirrored Traffic------->|       |
>                                 |    Eth
>       Destine Switch Port2
>
>Based on the above diagram for simple discussion.
>
>Does that means EIGRP routing entries will be discarded at the Switch Port1
>& not updated to the Router

I am assuming that EIGRP multicasts arrive from the router at switch port 1
in your diagram, and port 1 is the monitored (mirrored) port and port 2 is
the monitor port where the analyzer resides. You will not see the EIGRP
multicasts on the destination (monitor) port 2 when using a Cat 1900. The
EIGRP multicasts should go out all other ports on the switch (depending on
VLAN and other configurations.) So, it won't cause any operational problems
on a network. It just makes monitoring difficult.

Note that EIGRP uses multicasts for hellos. It sends routing updates
directly to neighbors, so you would see those on the monitor port.

>Ethernet port? Similar CDP, Multicast Video streaming, Mainframe
>application, ...etc, will not able
>to pass through the Monitored port?

I also do not see CDP on my monitor port on my Cat 1900. I haven't tried
multicast video or other applications.

>Lastly, is there a way to enable all traffic to flow through the Monitored
>switch port?

Well, it blocks "unregistered" multicasts. Theoretically you could
"register" the port to receive multicasts. I don't know how, though. IGMP?

Sorry, I don't know more about this. I'm just discovering the problems
myself. But I think it's just a Cat 1900 problem.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com