Hi,

It is common to use the same DLCI numbers on different line numbers.

A frame service consists of a physical line and a virtual channel.  The DLCI
points you to a virtual channel on the physical line.  Each physical line
will go to a separate interface therefore you can only have a particular
DLCI number appearing only once on an interface but a number of different
DLCI's per interface.

Here are some views of real life,

bodgey-router>sh frame pvc 20

PVC Statistics for interface Serial2/0:1 (Frame Relay DTE)

DLCI = 20, DLCI USAGE = LOCAL, PVC STATUS = ACTIVE, INTERFACE = Serial2/0:1

  input pkts 582598        output pkts 2285783      in bytes 91623851
  out bytes 551877150      dropped pkts 0           in FECN pkts 260
  in BECN pkts 507         out FECN pkts 0          out BECN pkts 0
  in DE pkts 0             out DE pkts 0
  out bcast pkts 0          out bcast bytes 0
  pvc create time 2w5d, last time pvc status changed 2w5d

PVC Statistics for interface Serial2/1:1 (Frame Relay DTE)

DLCI = 20, DLCI USAGE = UNUSED, PVC STATUS = ACTIVE, INTERFACE = Serial2/1:1

  input pkts 0             output pkts 0            in bytes 0
  out bytes 0              dropped pkts 0           in FECN pkts 0
  in BECN pkts 0           out FECN pkts 0          out BECN pkts 0
  in DE pkts 0             out DE pkts 0
  out bcast pkts 0          out bcast bytes 0            Num Pkts Switched
0
  pvc create time 2w5d, last time pvc status changed 2w5d

PVC Statistics for interface Serial2/2:1 (Frame Relay DTE)

DLCI = 20, DLCI USAGE = LOCAL, PVC STATUS = ACTIVE, INTERFACE = Serial2/2:1

  input pkts 4559893       output pkts 5103886      in bytes 1007742809
  out bytes 754882791      dropped pkts 3           in FECN pkts 885
  in BECN pkts 1362        out FECN pkts 0          out BECN pkts 0
  in DE pkts 334005        out DE pkts 0
  out bcast pkts 0          out bcast bytes 0
  pvc create time 2w5d, last time pvc status changed 2w5d

PVC Statistics for interface Serial2/3:1 (Frame Relay DTE)

DLCI = 20, DLCI USAGE = LOCAL, PVC STATUS = ACTIVE, INTERFACE = Serial2/3:1

  input pkts 11383948      output pkts 11637970     in bytes 1003156366
  out bytes 2681436400     dropped pkts 0           in FECN pkts 55
  in BECN pkts 1772        out FECN pkts 0          out BECN pkts 0
  in DE pkts 31658         out DE pkts 0
  out bcast pkts 0          out bcast bytes 0
  pvc create time 2w5d, last time pvc status changed 4d01h
bodgey-router>

bodgey-router>sh frame pvc int Serial2/0:1

PVC Statistics for interface Serial2/0:1 (Frame Relay DTE)

              Active     Inactive      Deleted       Static
  Local         13            0            1            0
  Switched       0            0            0            0
  Unused         2            0            0            0

DLCI = 17, DLCI USAGE = LOCAL, PVC STATUS = ACTIVE, INTERFACE = Serial2/0:1

  input pkts 3219107       output pkts 3135030      in bytes 1008518313
  out bytes 929633917      dropped pkts 0           in FECN pkts 370
  in BECN pkts 564         out FECN pkts 0          out BECN pkts 0
  in DE pkts 8018          out DE pkts 0
  out bcast pkts 0          out bcast bytes 0
  pvc create time 2w5d, last time pvc status changed 2w5d

DLCI = 18, DLCI USAGE = LOCAL, PVC STATUS = ACTIVE, INTERFACE = Serial2/0:1

  input pkts 4026385       output pkts 3963432      in bytes 841616371
  out bytes 2803697173     dropped pkts 0           in FECN pkts 1407
  in BECN pkts 1704        out FECN pkts 0          out BECN pkts 0
  in DE pkts 199678        out DE pkts 0
  out bcast pkts 0          out bcast bytes 0
  pvc create time 2w5d, last time pvc status changed 1w4d

DLCI = 19, DLCI USAGE = LOCAL, PVC STATUS = ACTIVE, INTERFACE = Serial2/0:1

  input pkts 22750304      output pkts 20094702     in bytes 884957671
  out bytes 2065292440     dropped pkts 0           in FECN pkts 2683
  in BECN pkts 4477        out FECN pkts 0          out BECN pkts 0
  in DE pkts 472811        out DE pkts 0
  out bcast pkts 0          out bcast bytes 0
  pvc create time 2w5d, last time pvc status changed 2w5d

DLCI = 20, DLCI USAGE = LOCAL, PVC STATUS = ACTIVE, INTERFACE = Serial2/0:1

  input pkts 582633        output pkts 2285987      in bytes 91628035
  out bytes 551904165      dropped pkts 0           in FECN pkts 260
  in BECN pkts 507         out FECN pkts 0          out BECN pkts 0
  in DE pkts 0             out DE pkts 0
  out bcast pkts 0          out bcast bytes 0
  pvc create time 2w5d, last time pvc status changed 2w5d

DLCI = 21, DLCI USAGE = LOCAL, PVC STATUS = ACTIVE, INTERFACE = Serial2/0:1

  input pkts 1977256       output pkts 1851204      in bytes 673665465
  out bytes 379643896      dropped pkts 0           in FECN pkts 203
  in BECN pkts 9830        out FECN pkts 0          out BECN pkts 0
  in DE pkts 439286        out DE pkts 0
  out bcast pkts 0          out bcast bytes 0
  pvc create time 2w5d, last time pvc status changed 2w5d

Some details are changed a little but the stuff here comes out of real
life.  I clearly shows the same DLCI number can be used on different
interfaces and multiple DCLI's on one interface.

Sorry about the long windedness but I felt this would show it more clearly.

Teunis,
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia

www.tasmail.com